Skip to main content

A Little R&R (Rest & Radiation)

Hi everyone! I know it's been a while. But I've been VERY busy recently.

Chemo Round 3:

Chemo round 3 was only TWO DAYS! I couldn't have been happier about that!!! Two days I can handle! And when your mom and sister come with you, it makes it 4738473783747% better!!! My sister is my all-time bestest friend ever and she makes me laugh like crazy! 

This round of chemo I didn't have much nausea which was awesome! I also didn't have Phillip the Poison Pump at all, which was beyond wonderful!! 

So all in all, not much to say, other than 3 ROUNDS DOWN BABY!!!! Yeah!!!




Radiation:

I started radiation during the two day chemo too. Radiation is a super strong X-ray machine and the doctors pinpoint the place of the tumor and blast it with a ton of radiation in small increments. 

This treatment is only 2 minutes long. I lay on a table and they put this casting over my leg and then the X-ray machine buzzes and then spins around my leg and then after two minutes, it's done! It doesn't hurt and the only side effect I will have will probably be some skin irritation on my leg. 

I have to have radiation for 31 days (6 weeks). I have to drive down to LA everyday (mon-fri):

• 2-2 1/2 hours down 
• 2 minutes of radiation
2-2 1/2 hours back

And as of today: 4/23/17 I have 2 weeks down! 

It's a lot of driving, but usually I just nap, so that's good! But in the beginning I dreaded driving down and back everyday. I didn't want to do it, and I was exhausted from it. 

Then something awesome happened! 


My Papa and I were on our way to radiation and there was this guy in the elevator. He said he had been having to go to Cedars-Sinai for 5 YEARS for various cancer things and surgeries. He's had cancer like 3 different times and he's so grateful that he gets to come to Cedars all the time as much as he's had to because they have helped him so much and he said that Cedars is the best on the planet and he wouldn't want to spend his time anywhere else. (Whew- long sentence)

Even with all his struggles for five years he remains truly grateful every time he comes to Cedars-Sinai because he's alive to do it. 

This man changed my perspective. 

I am so lucky that I GET to go down and get treatment everyday for a month because these doctors and nurses are saving my life! I now appreciate every time I go down! Sometimes all you need in life, is a new perspective. (And sometimes talking to random strangers can be helpful! Sorry mom!)


First day of radiation! (And Oliver. He's posing.)




Rest:

While I'm not on chemo or at radiation, I rest! Yay! I take lots of naps, and eat lots of food because I feel good and am able to eat more than crackers and soup. 

Let's not forget about Snapchat filters because with a bald head, they are MUCH more fun!


Ok so this filter was so fun because I had been wearing hats all the time and they had a hat filter! So then, an amazing mom from Tompkins made me the exact hat!!! And I'm in love! I wear it all the time and it's completely adorable! Thank you!!!!!!




















So there you go, that's what's been happening so far! If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask on my Facebook or in the comments and I'll reply to ya! 

Thanks again for all the support and love that everyone has given my family and I! We can't thank you enough! 

Also, I love this beautiful soul so much! Her name is Stephanie Nielson and she gives me so much strength. She was in a plane crash and burned on over 80% of her body. She is amazing and this quote from her gives me chills! 




"It's a beautiful heart, not a perfect body, that leads to a beautiful life."


Fight Faithfully - Taya

Comments

  1. Yeah! Team Taya!! So good to read about your success, round 3 down :0) And thank for sharing your perspective; God is good <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your writing Taya. It's so real and uplifting. 💗 YOU inspire me girl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your snap chat (ha! my phone auto corrected to "spam hat") pics. Listen to cool podcasts on your drive--you'll never want to leave to car! Love to you. You're so inspiring, Taya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You truly have a beautiful heart Taya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quote. Your journey has been inspiring and movitating to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in awe of your inner and outer strength!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so positive! You are a shining light. Thanks for being you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, this is your cousin Kate. I am so proud of you because you are fighting with a happy attitude. Being happy in hard times shows what kind of person you are, you are MAGNIFICENT!! STRONG!! And really good at taking Snap chat selfies!😂 Love ya!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Four Score and Two Weeks Ago...

Four Score and Two Weeks Ago...  A lot has happened these past two weeks. I have been tried and tested and have been through more in these two weeks then some people in a year. I never in a million years would have guessed that this would be my life. NEVER. But here I am, and I'm going to tell my story the whole way through. On Thursday February 9, 2017 I was diagnosed with cancer.  I had been feeling pain in my left ankle since the middle of December, so we went to the doctor and got a boot. I had it on for a month and after that, I had it off for three weeks.  I felt fine.  Then one Saturday I woke up to a ton of pain in the same ankle and it was swollen up to twice the size of the other ankle. We went back to the doctor and got the boot back on and then scheduled an MRI.  We got the MRI done and we found out I had a tumor. I went into complete shock and the doctor was talking, but I couldn't hear anything. Nothing at all.  

The Days That Never Seemed to End